Guide to Pereslavl Zalessky
The Land of Pereslavl
The Origins
of Pereslavl-Zalessky
Pereslavl — a tour
of the city streets
Churches and Cathedrals
Monasteries
Museums
A few words about
Peresavl
Recreation
Mini Telephone Directory
Sights of Pereslavl
Panoramic Map
back next
   Old city streets surrounding the central road give specific charm to the city of Pereslavl. Based on the contemporaries accounts in the late 18th first half of the 19th century, when the central street was built, Pereslavl prominently ranked as a number one industrial and trading district town of the Central Russia. There was a number of businesses, industries, hospitals with a developing infrastructure. The educational level was quite decent: at the end of the 19th century in a town with about 10 000 citizens there was a district school, a religious school, an elementary school for girls , three regular elementary schools and three parochial schools. The inhabitants constituted a mixture of gentry, intelligentsia, bourgeois, clergy, labor and paupers. The numerous ancient brick and wooden buildings and structures give a vivid flashback to the epoch. They make us think of the ancient city, reflect upon the customs and way of life of its inhabitants.
   The Wall Ring (See item 29 on the map). Pereslavl-Zalessky was founded in 1152 by Yuriy Dolgorukiy. The town spreads along two banks of the quiet Trubezh river near the Lake Plescheyevo. Following the central city road across the river even a person who is new in town can easily find their way to the Kremlin of Pereslavl — the ancient city walls. The wall ring, almost 2.5 kilometers long, was constructed in the middle of the 12th century and quite well preserved. The base of the city wall is made of three curbs of oaken and aspen cribwork in three separate rings. Throughout the first centuries of its existence the rampart reached 16 meters. Currently it is 6 meters in width and only 1012 meters in height. In the medieval times the crest of the rampart served as the base for double wooden walls with 12 watch towers, their names corresponding to those of the Moscow Kremlin. In the past the northern part of the fortress was protected by a natural barrier — the Trubezh river, which almost reached the base of the rampart. From the south and the west the walls were protected by a man-made moat with sharp piles on the edge. The remains of the moat can be seen today from the wall ring.
The Wall Ring
The Wall Ring
Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior on Red square
Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior on Red square

top