Guide to Pereslavl Zalessky
The Land of Pereslavl
The Origins
of Pereslavl-Zalessky
Pereslavl — a tour
of the city streets
Churches and Cathedrals
Monasteries
Museums
A few words about
Peresavl
Recreation
Mini Telephone Directory
Sights of Pereslavl
Panoramic Map
back next
The Red (Cathedral) Square
See item 36 on the map
The Red (Cathedral) Square is the heart of the ancient Pereslavl. Here, in 1152, Yuriy Dolgorukiy laid down ...the stone church of the Holy Savior... The white stone Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior was intended for the needs of the Princes court and garrison. Its summoning bell used to ring to call the people of Pereslavl for gatherings in times of celebration or trouble. The story claims that the Square was the building site for the Princes 2-3 storied wooden palace connected with the church loft by means of a long gallery. Many Pereslavl princes were born and christened there, including the famous Alexander Nevskiy (born 1220). The monument in honor of the famous townsman was placed on the Red Square in the middle of the 20th century (by S. Orlov). The Red Square ensemble the open-air museum includes the near-by 16th century church of Church of St. Peter the Metropolitan and the remains of the Nativity and Purification of the Mother of God Monastery

The Wall Ring

Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior on Red square

The Red Square. A view from an air-balloon.

top