Church of the Forty Martyrs, ХVIII
165, L. Naberezhnaya Street
Phone: (48535) 9851
One of the most beautiful corners of Pereslavl, where the river Trubezh flows into the Lake Plescheevo, is a favorite place of local painters. Reflecting on the smooth surface of the river, two wooden cathedrals stood there from time immemorial. One of them was dedicated to the Protection of the Holy Virgin, the other was called the Church of Forty Martyrs. The construction of the stone church of the same name, with the side chapel of the Birth of Our Lady, was financed by Moscow merchants Scheliagins in 1755. Nearby, on the right bank of the river, they built the Church of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary, demolished after the Revolution of 1917. The ground floor of the edifice is believed to have been built before others. In Soviet times the church was occupied by a rescue station. Services were restarted only in 1996.